24 August 2009

I'm all right. Really.

Okay, I haven't had Internet for awhile, so I'm making best use of it now. I'm currently in Almaty, at Peace Corps Headquarters, recuperating from a sucky bacterial infection at the request of my PCMO (medical officer) - just hanging out with Drew Boggs and watching Resident Evil. Unfortunately, I didn't bring the OpenOffice files I'd been working on for my blog. I'm not throwing in the towel this easily though, not when I'd been having so much fun with my host family and learning some rudimentary Qazaqsha (Qazaq language). My teacher, Nagima, is really amazing, and was really an angel when I started getting really sick and having to leave the room, and as long as she's doing the Qazaq classes, I'm sure I'll be seeing my training through.

My host family are all really awesome people (Quanysh my host brother, Bota my host sister, their children and his parents and extended family) and I'm already missing them here. The thing I'm having the most trouble adapting to, though, is the даретхана (daret-hana, basically a deep outdoor squat latrine). I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, though.

I will get around to posting a more thorough update from the past three days, but just checking in to ensure my readers that reports of my early demise have been exaggerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment